Isn’t summer supposed to be the time when life slows down and the world takes a vacation?
That may be the case for some of us, but the despots of the world are working overtime. Consider just a few of the world crises taking place this summer:
- Russia’s conflict with Ukraine continues. The downing of Malaysian Airlines Flight 17 by pro-Russian rebels has done little to stop it.
- Hamas is fighting with Israel over Gaza. A cease fire is in place, but Hamas has shown little respect for previous cease fires and it is unlikely that this crisis has ended.
- Muslim terrorists known as ISIS are making inroads in Iraq. It’s reached the point where President Obama has reversed his policy and announced that U.S. military airstrikes will take place “if necessary.”
- Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad continues to slaughter his people, while the country’s conflict threatens to spill over into Lebanon.
- The newly inaugurated Libyan parliament has called for a cease fire and threatened to act against warring militias that continue fighting.
- Al-Qaeda-linked sect Boko Haram continues to hold more than 200 schoolgirls captive in Nigeria.
- Iran is developing nuclear weapons, although the U.S. State Department said U.S. and Iranian officials had a “constructive discussion” this week about Iran’s nuclear program. There’s some conjecture that, even if Iran were to agree to halt its nuclear development program, it could outsource the program to North Korea.
Remember the end of the Cold War, the resulting “peace dividend” and the economic growth of the ’90s? Remember life before the financial crisis? Much has happened since then and most of it has not been good.